Monday, August 22, 2016

Healthy Mexican Cocoa


I've partnered with Uncommongoods to review some of their delicious and unique products. I've been a customer for years. 

Today I'm sharing honey with you. Bees Knees Spicy Honey is infused with a bit of chili. The heat sneaks up on you in a very good way. There's just the right amount of spice to balance the sweet. I love this honey. I've been eating it straight with a spoon (don't judge). It's that good. 

This honey is wonderful in my morning Mexican Cocoa (recipe below). The cocoa has a a dash of cinnamon and a spicy hit from the honey. Keep this cocoa recipe in your repertoire for brisk fall mornings and chilly winter afternoons. After a day spent skating, skiing or sledding, it's a cozy pick-me-up. I enjoy the cocoa year round. It's loaded with antioxidants and omega-3s. 

I often reach for honey instead of refined sugar in my cooking. Think about baked sweet potatoes, roasted butternut squash, warm cornbread and muffins drizzled with sweet and spicy honey. Imagine your holiday cheese board with this spicy honey. It's also divine on my easy Fluffy Lemon Ricotta Pancakes  or my simple Honey Lime Baked Chicken It's great in salad dressings too. After a long walk or a bike ride, I enjoy some natural peanut butter on a few whole grain crackers, topped with Bees Knees Spicy Honey. It's a delicious and satisfying post-workout snack.

The company also sent me their Varietal Honey Flight . It's a set of nine raw honeys from all across America. I had fun sampling the different honeys. Each one comes in a slender glass vial. The raspberry, blueberry and maple blossom are my favorites. I've been enjoying this honey in my hot tea but it's more than welcome in cocoa too.        


I'm glad Uncommongoods  gave me the opportunity to review and write about their special honeys. The spicy honey has become a fast favorite in my kitchen. Uncommongoods also offers a creative selection of art and pillows. To view more distinctive gifts for men and women click here.         

    
     






Healthy Mexican Cocoa


Makes One Serving

Some Notes & Tips:

I love Rapunzel Organic Cocoa powder for it's chocolatey rich flavor. Find a cocoa powder that you enjoy. Preferable one that isn't tasteless or too bitter. 

You can easily make this a vegan recipe by using your favorite sweetener and a pinch of cayenne pepper.

I use my Mr. Coffee Cocomotion for this recipe. It's so easy. It mixes and heats everything at once. A blender will work too. 

I like my cocoa on the bittersweet side. Feel free to use more honey if that's what you prefer. If you don't like spicy beverages, try this recipe with a Varietal Honey.

A tiny pinch of sea salt brings out the chocolate flavor.

The cocoa is delicious with a dollop of  my Vanilla Bean Coconut Cream


Ingredients


  • 1 cup of Unsweetened So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Beverage 
  • 2 tablespoons of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. I use Rapunzel Organic Cocoa Powder
  • 1-2 tablespoons of Bees Knees Spicy Honey      
  • A pinch of sea salt 
  • A dash of cinnamon

Instructions


Place all the ingredients in the Cocomotion. Serve once the machine has stopped blending and heating the mixture. Alternately, place the ingredients in a blender and whiz to combine. Heat the mixture on the stove or in a microwave safe mug. 

Cheers!   

xx ~ Jilly

No comments:

Post a Comment